The GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering) is a centralized examination that tests the aptitude of engineering. GATE is a well-established exam, which is conducted once in a year jointly by the 7 IITs and IISc. It provides the score, which can be used for PSU jobs and higher studies. GATE score card is valid for 3 years from the date of issuing. To appear in GATE exam, a candidate must have Bachelor’s degree in Engineering/Technology (currently in the 4thyear or already completed). There is no any age bar or limit of attempts for writing the GATE exam. The organizing institute for GATE in 2016 is Indian Institute of Science (IISc).
Earlier, GATE exam was only for higher studies into IITs, IISc, IIITs, NITs and many other renowned institutions. But, now the scenario is different, in addition to the higher studies, one can also have the opportunity to join the PSUs through the GATE score. Overall GATE exam is gateway to the following opportunities:
- Admission into IITs, IISc, IIITs, NITs and many other renowned institutions.
- Fellowships awarded by many Government organizations while doing masters.
- Junior Research Fellowship in CSIR Laboratories and CSIR sponsored projects.
- Job opportunities in many PSUs like NTPC, ONGC, HAL, IOCL, PGCIL, BARC, etc.
- A GATE level preparation can help you in scoring better in other PSU examinations (Prasar Bharati, State Electricity Board Papers, DMRC, etc.)
Note that the registration process for GATE-2016 starts on September 1, 2015 and will end on October 1, 2015. Check your eligibility for GATE 2016 and if you are eligible , then apply online for GATE 2016 at Apply online. Below are the some important links related to brochure, syllabus, paper pattern and results for GATE-2016.